Started Jul 3, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
NoRules
Contributing MemberPosts: 914
Like?
Battery grip E51R, first impression
Jul 3, 2008

Received my BH-E51R two hours ago from Hong Kong, and here are my thoughts so far ...

The grip itself is plasticky, but not in a trashy way. Once the batterys are in and it's attached to the camera, it's very nice, but still not as "firm" or solid, as the camerabody (E-510) itself.

It is very streamlined and flush with the camera. I also think it is smaller and lighter than my grip for E-300, and more rounded off. Size is smallish like the camera, as if Ownuser has been working with Oly to develop it.

The ugly battery doors (from previous grip) are gone, and replaced with a large, smooth one. The buttons are "on-off-remote" on the right side, and "AA-CRv3-DC" on the left for external battery compartment.

Remote is calibrated in 10 sec, and work brilliantly! Remote receiver on back and front of grip. Pre-focus, trigger, self-timer and B-shutter on remote. Both shutter-buttons on grip have half-way focus ability. Something for candid street photography?-)

Honestly It's like having a new camera. Balance is awsome, my pinky has a place to rest, and left hand vertical shoting is addictive:-) Suddenly the right hand is free to operate all the controls on the camera. I'm probably going to be flamed for this, but to me this is an E-3 killer. (Grip $150/ E-3 $1500:-)

This is so recomended for all E-510/520 users!

-- hide signature --

Free your mind, and your camera will follow...

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow