IS on or off on a tripod? (Canon 18-55 and 55-250mm version IS)

Started Jul 1, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dracil
Junior MemberPosts: 43
Like?
IS on or off on a tripod? (Canon 18-55 and 55-250mm version IS)
Jul 1, 2008

I've heard that you should disable IS when using a tripod. I've also heard that it doesn't matter when using the newer IS systems. I have the 18-55mm IS and 55-250mm IS if that matters (which I've heard is using said newer systems)

I was doing a zooming effect (using a relatively slow shutter speed and then changing the zoom as it's taking the picture) yesterday at the LGBT parade and I noticed that the zoom effect wasn't perfectly straight and you could see tiny squiggles if you zoomed in close enough on the picture.

Now, maybe it was simply the difficulty of the situation and my inexperience (the parade was moving so I had to "lead" the shot by unlocking the ballhead, moving it ahead a little bit, lock it, shoot and zoom all within a couple seconds). Specifically I was trying one of the tips from Scott Kelby's Digital Photography book minus the flash to create a sense of movement on the dancers. I started with 1/8 shutter speed but eventually sped it to 1/13 which helped a little on some shots (1/8 was a bit too much on the effect)

But now I wonder also if it's because IS was on (how do the new IS systems know it's in a tripod, and would the act of zooming confuse it?) Thanks!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow