Started Jun 27, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Karl K Grambow
Regular MemberPosts: 161
Like?
D3 does Formula 1
Jun 27, 2008

Did the F1 test at Silverstone yesterday. Took the D3 and the D300. Used the 200-400mm (with 1.4x tc) and 70-200mm mostly.

Unfortunately I don't have the 600mm yet so I ended up using the D300 for the most part (particularly for the tighter-cropped shots).

For those that are interested, the D300 performed well but it fell a little short in one respect.

It focussed as accurately and as fast as the D3....however, the shutter response was a lot slower so I found that even though the camera had a car in focus (I use Focus priorty selection), if the car was coming towards me at speed, by the time the shot was taken, only the rear wing was in focus.

As a result I had to resort to manually focusing or to stop down a bit more just to get more of the car in focus.

I had no such problems with the D3 but once I adjusted to the D300 it wasn't a big problem. Admiteddly though I would have much preferred to have the 600mm mounted on a D3.

Anyway, here are some shots. None are processed yet. All shot in RAW - I just did a straight export from Lightroom - no adjustments. So they're pretty much out of the camera.

Incidentally, bumped into about 7 other photographers and all but 2 were using Nikon.

Have a few other photos available at http://www.pbase.com/grambowk/silverstone_test

I should have the whole set ready by Monday.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow