Started Jun 17, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sequoia
Forum MemberPosts: 50
Like?
Canon answer to the TZ5?
Jun 17, 2008

I recently purchased a Panasonic TZ5 after much research. I really like the camera, but it does produce a lot of noise in low-light situations, makes images look a little bit like watercolor paintings when viewed at 100%. Maybe I just need to learn the camera better to improve my results, but I've also seen many references to Panasonic's more aggressive processing. From what little I know, I like Canon's approach, which seems to be less image processing by the camera resulting in a slightly sharper image. But the 28-280mm lens of the TZ5 was just too great to pass up, as well as a great price I found a couple weeks ago ($269). I didn't find anything by Canon that quite matches this camera in terms of everything I'm looking for, at least not without paying almost twice as much.

I recently saw a post somewhere on dpreview about a possible Canon response to the TZ5, someone mentioned a possible announcement in the next few months (editing now... here's the link: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1010&message=28133900 ). Is there any solid info about this? I have 30 days w/ this camera, if I decide to return it, and since I've waited several months to buy this camera I could potentially wait a couple more if Canon was definitely going to release a new model with many of the features found on the TZ5. Even a slight edge on IQ - especially on indoors/low light - would probably sway me away from the TZ5, but so far I haven't found anything quite as close to what I'm looking for.

If the TZ5 had a bigger sensor, say 1/1.7", it would be just about perfect.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow