17-55 f2.8 IS
70-200 f2.8 Non IS
400 f5.6

Or

Canon 5D
24-105 f4 IS
100-400 f4.5-5.6 IS

Both cost roughly the same

I would be interested to have others opinions.

For sports, the 40D wins hands down. The 5d, while an outstanding camera is just WAY too slow to be used for most sports.

The 5D excels in portraits & landscapes, but is a bit of a turtle compared to the 40D. Heck, it's slow compared to just about anything. ROFL

Don't get me wrong, I love my 5D. So much so that I don't feel the need to "upgrade" when the nextgen finally comes out...but for sports I generally grab my 30D.

And while the 30D is a fine camera I would grab the 5D before the 30D when shooting portarits or landscapes.

The 30D has become my "everyday/walkaround/family/general purpose/sports" camera... For my "important" (read: paid) images I either grab the 5D or the 1DsIII depending on what I need.

You can't really go wrong with either the 40D or the 5D but they DO each have their own strengths.

FWIW, my most used lens is the 70-200 2.8L non-IS. Great lens and IS won't bring much to the party when shooting sports anyway IMO. And if you use a tripod when shooting other things then IS again doesn't add anything... I've managed without it for 30+ years...so while I'm sure it can be usefull it's also not a deal breaker for me. Only my long tele lenses have IS...but as they're used on a sturdy tripod I don't use it.

The only other lens that you've listed that I have, or indeed tried, is the 400 5.6L. Another really nice lens and still light/small enough to be handheld when you need it...unlike it's big brother.

The 24-105 & 100-400 are too slow for my own needs so I've never tried them because I wouldn't want them anyway. Not to say there's anything wrong with them, but for MY needs they wouldn't work well. I like fast, fixed aperture lenses. The only variable aperture lens I own is the 10-22...and that's only because Canon doesn't have a fixed aperture WA for the xxD series.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow