Started Jun 13, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Gene L.
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,787Gear list
Like?
Eyecup Magnifier for XT, XTi, XSi
Jun 13, 2008

I had read that the Olympus AS-ME-1 Eyecup Magnifier would work with the XT (and presumably the XTi, and XSi), so when my stock eyepiece broke its latch, I took this as an opportunity to try out the Olympus, as Canon doesn't make one. Since information on this seems scarce, I thought that I would write a mini review for anyone interested.

The fit is very good. One would think that it was made for this camera. It slides on easy and then has a definite latching that requires a firm push to complete.

It is rated for 1.2x and it seems to do about that. It is a worthy improvement in terms of magnification, not gigantic, but enough to bring things a little closer and make focusing easier.

The eyepiece has a round cup that sticks out farther than the stock eyepiece. It is not a big difference, but enough to help us left eyed folk get our nose off of the LCD display.

The optics are good. I had to recalibrate my diopter setting, but once that was done I could not tell that there was an additional piece of glass.

At $40 the thing is not cheap. I am not sure that I could justify the cost just for the 1.2x magnification, but if you are going to replace the eyepiece anyway, then it is a worthy upgrade and probably the most sensible option

I bought mine at Adorama. Here is the link so you can see it:
http://www.adorama.com/IOMASME1.html

-Gene L.
http://ttl-biz.com

Gene L.'s gear list:Gene L.'s gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 60Da Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +3 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow