Started Jun 11, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Greg Marshall
Regular MemberPosts: 346
Like?
D300 HDMI Image Quality (again!)
Jun 11, 2008

There have been quite a few posts here about the quality of images on an external monitor connected to a D300 via the HDMI port. Unfortunately, there seems to be no agreement, so I'm hoping that we can get a definitive answer here.

My own experience is that no matter what resolution I set in the camera's menu, I get a low-resolution image. I'm guessing that it is the same as the 640x480 image that you get on the built-in LCD. Note that the Nikon documentation never actually states that the output image is of any particular quality level or resolution - the selection of resolutions offered is simply to provide compatibility with various displays, some of which cannot scale an image that is input at the wrong resolution.

Now some people have claimed amazingly sharp, detailed images on such a display, but relative to what? It has been my experience that many (most?) people have very poor ability to judge resolution on a monitor. I think they are accustomed to ordinary TV images and judge everything relative to that.

So, is there someone out there that (1) knows something about video image quality and (2) can say definitively that the D300 can or cannot output "high definition" (i.e., 720 or 1080 lines) through the HDMI port?

Alternatively, has anyone asked this question of Nikon and received a definitive answer?

Recognize that this is a politically charged question because if the answer is that the output is always just the same 640x480 that you get on the built-in LCD, one would be quite justified to severely criticize Nikon for misleading us. And, by the way, numerous reviewers of the camera would also be subject to criticism for failing to note this "defect".

Thanks,
Greg

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow