Started Jun 6, 2002 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
prophotog
New MemberPosts: 21
Like?
Century Graphic for digital view camera
Jun 6, 2002

For years I have used a Sinar 4x5 view camera for architectural photography in various states in the US. The equipment took up two or three bulky cases and was a real pain to get into and out of airports even before 9/11.

A real (re)discovery for me was the 2x3 Century Graphic. I have been able to carry the camera body, 5 excellent lenses. two 120 roll film holders etc. in a shoulder case that is the size of a medium 35mm outfit. It is much lighter than the Horseman, Linhof or other similar outfit and for the type of photography I do in the field, it has proven to be ideal. (architectural, travel, scenic).

Here’s the rub. I have been shifting more and more to digital printing. For the money, convenience and archival issues etc. I still believe that film is the way to go. I bought a Nikon 8000 scanner and had beautiful scanned results with transparency film for producing color digital prints as well as black and white conversions for quad tone printing. Not so with black and white film. Black and white seemed to have a tendency to posterize no matter how the scan was made and I ended up selling the scanner. (Note: some of the negs were from the 1930’s and were quite dense and/or thin).

Since then I have had access off and on to the latest high end Imacon scanner. The results with color were great but scanning black and white film was simply incredible. Sharp down to the grain of the film with full range of tones!

So ... my ideal would be to continue to use the Century outfit but be able to personally own a scanner that works well for black and white film (and is affordable). Has anyone who shoots a lot of high quality black and white had good luck with scanning black and white negatives on any of the current mid-range scanners? (c. $3000.00).

If so, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks.

Bob

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow