Started Jun 2, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jim Levitt
Regular MemberPosts: 186
Like?
hard-drive partitioning strategy needed
Jun 2, 2008

I'm in the process of setting up a new pc. Vista64, 8gb ram, with two 750gb hard drives. I plan to do my backups to external drives. I'm not looking to set up a RAID array of any sort on these two drives.

I'd like to partition the drives. The built-in capabilities of Vista are pretty limited; I could get the boot drive partitioned in half, but that leaves way too much room on the C drive (350gb). Is Acronis Disk Manager the best tool to properly partition the drives?

Should I set up a partition just for the OS, which I could then clone? Or should the C drive also include programs? I'd like my data on another partition - photos will be on the second drive for sure - to make incremental backups and disk degragmentation easier and faster. My first thought is to partition the second hard drive into two equal partitions. It's the first drive that has me puzzled.

What partitions, of what size, would you suggest for the two hard disks?
Where (and how) should I place the page file? Scratch disk for Photoshop?

This will be my first experience with Vista. I hope it goes smoothly, or I'll be looking over the fence at a much more costly Mac.

Thanks for any advice.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow