Started May 31, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Guy Scharf
Contributing MemberPosts: 892
Like?
Printing borderless on Epson R280
May 31, 2008

I am having problems printing 4x6 borderless on the Epson R280. It appears the image is being expanded by the printer or driver and then cropped on all four sides.

For example, I have a 1200x1800 image, 300 dpi, in Photoshop CS3. PS print options are set to Scale to Media and Center Image, let printer manage colors. R280 print options are set to Best photo, 4x6 paper, borderless, Portrait. Advanced options are set to High speed, Color Controls, Adobe RGB, 2.2 Gamma, and +10 on brightness (which gives color results close to what I expect). No options are set on Page Layout.

Print Preview does match what comes out on the paper. So, with these settings, I see the image cropped slightly, just as the printer is doing

I can make the image fit almost properly by setting PS CS3 options to not center image, top margin 0, left margin 0.083, Scale set to 96%.

If I instead print with borders, center image, and no scaling, I do get the entire image, with a border of course. But at least all my pixels are printed.

This feels like the familiar problem with Noritsu and Fujitsu printers, where the printer expands the image by 1.5% - 2% before printing so that the image is guaranteed to compensate for any changes in paper path. (And so I have to compensate in my canvas size before sending the file to the lab for printing.)

Is this a known feature of the R280 or borderless inkjet printers generally? What is the best way to compensate for this problem/feature?

Thanks.

Guy
--
My photos: http://photos.moxis.com

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow