M42 to Nikon infinity focus without extra glass - interest?

Started May 30, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
PixelMover
Contributing MemberPosts: 749
Like?
M42 to Nikon infinity focus without extra glass - interest?
May 30, 2008

As some of you may have read, my father has suddenly taken an interest in everything 'old' Nikon;
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=27954165

With his extensive CNC experience, I thought I'd ask him if he could find a way to mount a Helios 42-2 (58mm/2.0) on a D2/D3 while maintaining infinity focus, but without adding an additional optical element. Once I explained to him why it "coudn't" work (flange distance) he happily set about proving me wrong.

Taking his beloved BR-2a (see previous thread) as a starting point, he came up with an adapter that actually sinks the lens slightly into the body (he removed about 2.5mm of 'needless' casing from the lens). Infinity focus works just beautifully. He reckons he can do it to most of the old M42 lenses I've showed him, but the limit might be how far the optical element sticks out at the extreme end (to avoid blocking the mirror), so it would depend on the lens.

Took him about half a day to work it out, 25 minutes to make it.

So, really, how many users here would be interested in this (he reckons not all lenses actually need to be modified!) and how much would you pay. Basically, would it be worth it for him to set up a small cottage industry making a select range of M42 lenses 'operational' on Nikon bodies, or even fitting them with a 'permanent' F-mount with infinity focus, but without an added optical element?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow