Started May 26, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Beefy_SAFC
Regular MemberPosts: 436
Like?
F100fd - feel completely underwhelmed.
May 26, 2008

I bought one a few weeks ago and I have to say I feel completely underwhelmed by it. But perhaps I'm doing something wrong.

Firstly, the pictures it takes seem darker than other cameras. I have to knock up the exposure compensation to overcome this.

Secondly, in low light, the level of noise seems a little high. The detail seems to suffer badly at anything over ISO 800. (I know ISO 3200 and over is no more than a gimmick.)

Thirdly, I tried long exposure on the camera (limited to 8 seconds), however, I cannot set the ISO to anything but 100. This is not good in low light.

Overall, my older Canon Ixus 800IS outperforms it (including at ISO 800 - the highest the canon can go). You can even get 15 seconds of long exposure combined with ISO 800.

On the plus side, the amount of detail is very good in normal light and the 28 mm wide-angle is a reason to keep the camera (but not the be all and end all).

I've been lucky and avoided the pink band issue, but suggestions in other aspects of it's use might help.

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow