Senior MemberPosts: 2,505
Like?
Re: Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 VC
In reply to The Winemaker, May 25, 2008

The Winemaker wrote:

I agree also that this is a very unique lens and I fear any image
degradation may be more in poor understanding of the lens or the
camera than the actual lens itself.

Maybe, but when I get consistently soft and off shots with one lens and razor sharp good images with another in the same conditions, same camera, same settings, I tend to think the first lens was bad - maybe I was extremely unlucky with that copy and others are much better - but I stay confident it was not my poor understanding of the Tamron lens or my camera since I had no problems with the better lens.

I have seen STUNNING pictures
taken by a few Nikon photographers using the FX format D3 with this
lens. A $5000 camera and they choose a Tamron 28-300 VC to mount on
it for their walk around lens!

Maybe there are great versions of this lens also. Mine was not.

It's better to have this lens and get the shot than to fiddle with
changing lenses , and perhaps missing it.

Well, if photography is only about those shots where you might be fiddling to change lenses, then yes of course! But if you most of the times see a potential photo and have time to get it right (or even have the right lens on), it also pays off to have a good lens for the job... Personally, I prefer getting good shots consistently than compromising in IQ 100% of the time to safeguard myself against missing that one shot where I might be fiddling. If you get a very good 28-300 then that is another story, but the lens I got struggled to focus indoors and was consistently soft when it did manage to focus. Again, maybe just bad luck

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow