Started May 20, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
CaptnWil
Regular MemberPosts: 270
Like?
Canon Head Clog Solution
May 20, 2008

There has been a lot written about cleaning the head of Canon printers when they get clogged up. Most of what you have read is not so. In fact, very little of it is so. My work, and this report, is about a Canon i9900.

I have used this printer for a number of years with Media Street third party ink. The reaults and longevity of the prints has been astounding. I use Red River paper. The prints don’t fade, and the color is breathtaking. This is all to say that the Canon i9900 is an outstanding printer, and Media Street ink is great.

Over the years, I had one head clog and used the current accepted way to clear it – Windex and all of that. Of course, that didn’t work. When I discovered that the new generation of Canon printers were a nightmare to refill, I bought a new print head so I could keep the i9900 going as long as possible. Several years passed without any head clogs, and marvelous prints – up to 6' X 4'.

Then my wife got sick with a cancer that took her life after two years. The printer was used seldom during those two years. The date on the ink supply from Media Street is March of 2006. In the very last days of my wife’s life, I needed to do some insurance form printing, and as you would suspect, the damned i9900 wouldn’t print anything. I was just printing black and white, so I replaced the black cart. Still nothing would print. It was dead.

My wife died soon thereafter and after another month, I decided to try to get the damned thing to print again. The end of the story is that the printer now prints just like new with the same PRINT HEAD and INK CARTS!

Any stories you have heard about how fragile the Canon print head is are completely false.

Here’s what I did. Remember the printer would print nothing. The paper went in blank and came out blank.

1. Remove all ink carts and store in zip lock bag.

2. Flush all passages of print head with tap water until water runs clear. No special care need to be taken to keep anything dry.

2. Prepare solution of 50% Clorox and 50% water.

3. Use syringe to force Clorox solution through each color until it runs clear. No special care needed to keep anything dry.

4. In a zip lock bag, prepare another solution of 50% Clorox, water to cover all of the print head passages.

5. Place head in zip lock and force solution up and down through head passages by pumping action with your hands. You’ll see a lot of dried ink come floating out – then suddenly disappear. Do this routine four of five times until no color is visible floating around.

6. Let this batch stand over night, making sure that all the passages are emerged. Don’t worry about the electrical contacts. Just make sure that the ink passages do not get physically damaged.

7. Next day, remove head from solution and rinse thoroughly with tap water – thoroughly.

8. Let the head dry. You will only dry the external part, but drying it will aid in the next steps

9. Inspect the electrical contacts. Some of them may have obtained some kind of black covering. Not to worry. You can remove it mechanically. I use a pink pearl eraser from my drafting days 50 years ago – I still have about ten of them. In fact, even if the contacts seem clean, a touch with the pink perl will improve the electrical connection. Just make sure to remove any eraser residue. I use a Bounty paper towel.

The contacts are not fragile, but work on them gently. Once they are bright, they’ll work just fine.

10. Put the head back in the printer, prime the carts, or use new ones. Then make one deep cleaning cycle and one normal cleaning cycle. Then make a test print. Your printer is new again!

Good Luck
Wil

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow