Started Jun 3, 2002 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Daniel Lauring
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,702Gear list
Like?
OT: Inexpensive Ibook as companion notebook to camera
Jun 3, 2002

I found a new 500Mhz Ibook for $800. Apparently it is two generations old but the specs don't seem so bad except, possibly for the limiting hard drive of 10Gb. I think it has a 66Mhz bus. It comes with OSX and OS9 , CDrom, firewire...etc. Today I carry either a 50Mhz Libretto with a 4Gb hard drive (really slow to view big pics and not much space) or a 600Mhz Toshiba with a 30Gb hard drive (quite capable but a bit heavy and relatively short battery life.) The Ibook is attractive as a midsized alternative with much better battery performance than either of them.

Anyone use one of these older iBooks? Before I open it and get stuck with the restocking fee I want to know if I got a white elephant. Is this thing too outdated already? User feedback on cnet and the like seems pretty good.

Upgrading the hard drive is not for the faint of heart (but looks doable...however a 9.5mm 30Gb upgrade runs another $130 and opening the box will void the warranty.) Hmmm...then there is another $100 for an aircard.

I wonder about it's overall capability. One other reason I got it is for compatibility with the machines my kids use at school. I also like the idea of being to play around editing movies on it (if its fast enough.) Finally, it seemed like the least expensive way to try out an Apple (they also had 500Mhz older generation iMacs for $200 less.)

Mac users...what do you think.

Danny

Daniel Lauring's gear list:Daniel Lauring's gear list
Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow