Aperture vs Lightroom - does Aperture have.....

Started May 19, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
pavinder
Regular MemberPosts: 213
Like?
Aperture vs Lightroom - does Aperture have.....
May 19, 2008

I've been a Lightroom user for around a year now, but after reading so many glowing reports of Aperture 2 decided to give it a trial.

I'm bowled over by the bookmaking options, and do like the fullscreen editing with floating windows (as compared to Lightroom's hidden side windows in fullscreen mode). The Loupe, although cool-looking, confuses me somewhat as I prefer to see the whole image magnified rather than a small portion of it.

These things aside, there are 2 main features of Lightroom which I can't seem to find in Aperture despite searching help files and these forums, and wondered if someone who knows the software well could point me to where they might exist, or confirm that they don't:

1. When comparing 2 images in Lightroom I can "sync" them so that as I navigate around one within the window, the other moves in sync too, thus making it easy to compare the entire images even when magnified. In Aperture I can only navigate one of the images at a time.

2. In Aperture, even at the smallest thumbnail size, the images in the browser are quite large with fairly large gaps in between - a maximum of 13 images fills the entire width of the screen. In Lightroom I can shrink them so that 31 images fit.

Finally many people are mentioning the automatic updating of Smart Folders in Aperture so that when a new image is given a keyword it will automatically be included in the filtering. Doesn't this also happen in Lightroom anyway?

Thanks in advance for help on these.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow