Started May 19, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tedlegrand
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Like?
Lightroom vs Silkypix vs Rawtherapee mini review
May 19, 2008

I used the three raw processing software above, and I always wondered which one was the best performer, so I decided to run some tests myself using my E-510. To begin with, my overall impression on the interface of the three diferent software:

Lightroom beta2 gives richer colors by default, it has a lot of presets, it is easy to use and quite fast to process the files once they are opened.

Silkypix is quite fast to use, quicker than lightroom, very quick to open.

Rawtherapee is the slowest to process files, but a little quicker to open than lightroom

Now, lets see how they perform. To me, the most important abilities are noise/detail handeling and highlight recovery. All three of the software are able to adjust colors, contrast exposer pretty much the same.

Noise/detail:

I have taken an underexposed shot at iso1600 in a low light situation, then increased the exposer by two stops to give an effective sensibility of iso6400 to have the worse possible situation and see how the software handled the noise. I have set the sharpening to zero on evry software, to be sure that I compare just the noise. Then, I used noise ninja with default settings (no sharpening).

Olympus master image (should be close to what the jpeg strait from the camera)
overall scene

100% crop1

100% crop1 + noise ninja

100% crop2

100% crop2 + noise ninja

Lightroom
overall scene

100% crop1

100% crop1 + noise ninja

100% crop2

100% crop2 + noise ninja

Silkypix
overall scene

100% crop1

100% crop1+ noise ninja

100% crop2

100% crop2 + noise ninja

Rawtherapee
overall scene

100% crop1

100% crop1+ noise ninja

100% crop2

100% crop2 + noise ninja

I'll let you pick which one you prefer.

... next post, the highlight recovery

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow