ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TheD70Kid
Regular MemberPosts: 148
Like?
I really need advice... and fast... Please help
May 16, 2008

Hey everyone,

I posted this message in the wrong forum before, I'm sorry for the confusion. So if you read my previous posts, I just started doing event photography. So far, I have only done one event for this firm that has just "hired" me. Last Sunday I worked from 12:00 noon until about 5 in the evening. I have yet to be paid for this event. I took about 280 pictures with 250 being keepers that I submitted to the guy who does their processing. There was a great deal of setting up that had to be done at the event and despite using my cameras (D300 + D200 + lenses and flash) I had to drive to pick up a laptop and other equipment for storing the pictures. Today, I get a call, from the guy who runs the company, that there are 3 events coming up, 1 of them being video which I am not interested in doing. The other 2 are photography, with one of them being a 3 day event out of town, all expenses paid. At the end of my conversation, I needed to ask the big question: How much are you going to be paying me? I have not been paid for the Sunday event so before I keep moving forward, I need to know the financial agreement. He said, "How much do you feel is fair." I didn't really know how to answer so I said, "How much were you planning on paying me?" His response was, "$15/hr and then $20/hr as you do more events." Oh, and he said that it would probably be $200-$300 total for the 3 day event.

I really need some advice. This is not exactly a small firm that I am working with. They do a lot of major event photography: Trade shows, celebrations, civic events, fund raisers, reunions, weddings... etc... for pretty wealthy clientele (Oprah, Obama to name a few). I really don't want to say the wrong thing because this is a HUGE opportunity for me. What do you think is fair pay? $30/hr? $50/hr?? The event last Sunday was just me as the photographer, the next few would be with 2-4 others. I realize that this was my first event, but $15/hr?! Our house painter gets $50/hr! Also, how do you charge for travel? The 3 day event is 4 hours away by car. I really appreciate your taking the time to give me your .02 THANKS!!!

-Danny

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow