Started May 14, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
spiritedaway
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
Canon 40D vs Pentax K20D
May 14, 2008

For quite some time I have been researching which DSLR I should buy, and I had pretty much decided upon the 40D (with either 17-55/2.8, 24-70/2.8 or 24-105/4), however I have recently inherited an old Pentax Super A with 25-50/4, 50/1.4 and a 70-210/4 (plus filters for all, motor drive and flash gun).

Naturally, as Pentax can use old glass, I've struck a problem. Should I stick with my original plan of a 40D, or buy a K20D and have some nice manual focus glass - in particular the 50/1.4. My budget is around about £1,300-500 ish. I'm really looking for something that will be a good all round camera, that I can use in a variety of situations. Here are a few of the pro/con's of each that are affecting my decision:

1) Image Quality - the K20D wins here.
2) Noise Control - from what I've read the 40D performs better at higher ISOs.
3) Focusing - again, from what I've read, the 40D performs better.

4) FPS - I'm very attracted by 6.5fps vs 3fps. I'd like the opportunity to explore sport/wildlife and more photography and I feel this would be a benefit.
5) Shutter Speed - the 40D is faster.

6) Range of Lenses & future progression - obviously with the 40D there would be the option to progress to full frame, and I know resale value for the canon (and the lenses I mentioned) is quite high.

To be honest, my heart leans more toward the 40D, but my head is telling me to consider the Pentax because of the lenses I have. A D300 would of course be nice, but it's way too pricey.

Thoughts/input/advice/etc is very much appreciated

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow