Will XXD line go Full Frame in the near future?

Started May 13, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JackM
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,585Gear list
Like?
Will XXD line go Full Frame in the near future?
May 13, 2008

I assume not with the 50D, as we've already seen the preview of that in the Rebel XSi. But 60D maybe?

A Nikon friend and I got into a debate about "investing" in lenses that are "future proof" (read: Full Frame compatible). I took the position that it was nonsense, citing the remarkable 17-55/2.8IS, and the fact that Canon is "all in" with the cropped sensor and the EF-S lens line. I said the XXD would never go Full Frame because of all their investment.

But that got me thinking.... looks like the Rebel line is breaking into 2 or even possibly 3 price points if they keep the XT around along with the XTi and XSi. In which case, they'd have nothing keeping them from going FF with the XXD.... except one thing... Are production yield rates for FF sensors still too low to produce $1400 FF cameras?

JackM's gear list:JackM's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM +6 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow