Started May 12, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jim Levitt
Regular MemberPosts: 186
Like?
good deal on a Vista64 pc?
May 12, 2008

HP seems to be much more aggressive about rolling out machines with Vista 64 and the newest Intel quad-core processors than the other big manufacturers. One can configure and order these computers through Costco.com to save some money, too.

I'm thinking about ordering a "Pavilion Ultimate d4999t" pc, with the following specs:

Q9550 processor (upgrading from the Q9450)
8GB ddr2-800Mhz sdram
750 GB 7200rpm hard drive
nVidia 8600GT, 512mb video card
Vista Home Premium 64-bit
16x DVD+ -R/RW
16x max DVD-ROM
plenty of usb and firewire ports; no eSATA, unfortunately.
350 watt power supply
Integrated 10/100/1000BaseT network
keyboard, mouse, etc

I'll add a second hard drive, and an eSATA card. Otherwise this looks pretty good to me. I don't think my local shop could build me a comparable machine for the sub-$1700 price the HP will cost.

The motherboard is an ASUS IPIBL-LB, using the Intel G33 chipset. Is there any issue with this chipset? For a custom build, the Asus board I would have spec'ed uses the X48 chipset.

The power supply seems a bit small, but the one comment I could find on the net about this generation of HP machines said it was actually a very good psu.

I do look longingly at the macs, but a mac pro with similar memory and storage is almost twice the price. Ouch!

Any suggestions/warnings/advice about this HP box?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow