Started May 7, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Nathan Chao
Regular MemberPosts: 131Gear list
Like?
Fuji F100 marketing faux pas
May 7, 2008

The F100 is spec’d and priced for more serious camera users seeking a small form factor. Fuji then crippled the camera’s potential with terribles controls meant for the absolute novice just seeking to follow scene modes and shoot.

You can’t set A or S like previous F’s and you can’t even exposure compensate in any mode except Manual. They then even frustrate pure PS users by using atmospheric flash in auto mode which makes it look like the flash is absolutely anemic.

The result, more serious photo bugs won’t buy it due to a really bad control layout Pure PS types won’t like it because it costs at near $400 more than smaller, cuter cameras from big name brands with similar lens range

Canon is much smarter with the G9 for more serious users and A650 for PS types. Although they should have offered tilt screen on G9 and fixed on A650 for even lower price. The canon G line is and has been the most viewed compact digital on dpreview.

I compromised and bought F100 because G9 won’t fit inconspicuously in my pocket and all other cameras the size of the F100 have much smaller sensors. To me the PB issue is not a deal breaker since I don't generally shoot indoors using available light and I use my DSLR for sports and more challenging situations. F100 is just a constant carry for me.

In the next coupla weeks I will try to learn the shutter aperture algorithm the F100 uses in the various modes so I can adapt it to make up for lack of flexible manual options.

For example obviously in landscape, camera should select smaller aperture for greater depth and tolerate lower shutter speeds. Sports will use widest aperture and highest shutter and higher iso to freeze action.

From my picture post many are puzzled by the algorithm adopted in AUTO mode. Why did F100 select high iso for bright outdoor shot. In the past, slr sellers gave a graph of how Program exposure would work. Now you have to experiment and plot your own graph to see exposure pattern.

The most important pattern to know for manual users is in Manual mode, how the camera select A and S when you either fix the iso or select one of the AUTO variable iso modes. Also how A and S is set when forced flash is used in Manual mode. These graphs are useful because with F100 you can’t set A or S at all.

Has anyone tested and can describe A S behavior of F100 in Manual and AUTO modes? Just stay in one mode and take a bunch of shots in different light and examine how A and S ISO changes unless ISO is fixed.

Actually with no dedicated control knob, Fuji can redo the entire control interface in software to allow full manual control or something in between that is better than what they have now like allow compensation in any mode. Nevertheless they won’t because then they need to rewrite the camera manual.

Nathan Chao's gear list:Nathan Chao's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Olympus Stylus Tough TG-850 iHS Sony SLT-A58
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow