Best SLR / Setup for Photojournalists

Started Apr 22, 2008 | Discussions thread
jscoby05
Regular MemberPosts: 347
Like?
Re: Best SLR / Setup for Photojournalists
In reply to jonlee1, Apr 24, 2008

If I were thinking of what to bring it would probably be a couple 1D's 16-35mm and a 70-200mm f/2.8L. However I had the pleasure of having dinner with a magnum photographer

http://www.magnumphotos.com/Archive/C.aspx?VP=XSpecific_MAG.PhotographerDetail_VPage&l1=0&pid=2K7O3R14JP6U&nm=Thomas%20Dworzak

and he informed me that unless he is doing work directly for Magnum, he usually shoots with a Ricoh R8. Thomas has spent time in Chechnya and Afghanistan. I have studied the work of Rick Loomis and he used two 1D bodies with a 17-40mm, 70-200mm, and a 300mm to cover the U.S. invasion of Iraq. Whatever you use, it needs to be sealed and you should not take lenses off if you are using an SLR.

In Truth if I were going right now I would buy two Pentax K20Ds, a 16-50mm, 50-135mm, and a 200mm. Pentax may not have the IQ of Canon 1D cameras, but by fare they are the most weather sealed bodies I have ever come in contact with. Coming from a K10D, I would say it was better sealed than my 1D M III is.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow