Started Apr 20, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
George Evans
Senior MemberPosts: 1,585
Like?
My first portrait commission - advice needed
Apr 20, 2008

I was asked by an aquaintance whether I'd be willing to take some portraits of her children for a fee because she believed I'd do a decent job of it. She knows that I'm a hobbyist photographer, don't have studio equipment and never done formal studio style portraits before, so I agreed on the understanding that I charge her only for the cost of the paper and ink.

To be honest I was flattered that she asked me and I was grateful for the free use of some models to practice on as my family run a mile whenever I suggest a few portraits.

The only kit I had available was the A700, Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 and Sony HLV-F58AM flash so I used the only blank wall that I had at home in my conservatory during midday which was a rather strong color of red. I had a white sheet to hand but didn't use it because of their white t-shirts.

The pictures were taken in XF-Jpeg and cRAW but I was so pleased with the Jpegs that I didn't process the raw images. Because of the clear conservatory roof I couldn't use bounce flash to minimise the shadows. The Sony HLV-F58AM was used on camera for fill flash.

Here are four of the series of pictures taken. They are delighted with the results and so am I but I'd appreciate some advice on an inexpensive home studio lighting kit to help me get better results. The whole experience was very enjoyable and is somethiing I'd like to do more of.

George Evans
http://www.wirralpix.smugmug.com

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow