Started Apr 20, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
interbear
Regular MemberPosts: 274
Like?
Nikon Coolpix S600 or Fuji F100fd?
Apr 20, 2008

Decision time beckons in my search for a wide-angle compact that is a good all-rounder. My typical photographic requirements are mixed - indoor and outdoor family shots (young kids) with outdoor landscape / building type shots. Camera priorities are

1) image quality out of the camera (no or minimum PP)
2) portability (which I define as "jeans pocketable")
3) ease of use
4) wide-angle with IS

I've narrowed down to 2 - the Fuji F100fd and Nikon S600. I toyed with the Panny TZ5 for a while but I want a camera that is as compact / portable as possible and I don't actually need the x10 zoom. Also, samples I've seen so far suggest to me that the Nikon and Fuji will perform better in lower lighting conditions.

Specific F100fd positives that I can see are :- bigger 1.6 CCD sensor, image quality at higher ISO, decent x5 zoom. Biggest negative is clearly the pink band issue althought I have seen more sample images with no problem than those showing the problem.

Specific Nikon S600 positives that I can see are :- ultra-compact, optical IS, active child mode and very nice user interface. No real negatives that I can see but in the UK the Nikon is more expensive than the Fuji, unlike everywhere else.

Any constructive comments out there to help me make a decision? I'm being very indecisive. Almost ordered the Nikon based on it's ergonomics, I found it very good "in hand". Have not yet managed to find a F100fd in a UK store yet.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow