Upgrade from FZ5 necessary to improve noise?

Started Apr 19, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Maurice Delaney
Contributing MemberPosts: 556
Like?
Upgrade from FZ5 necessary to improve noise?
Apr 19, 2008

I've had my FZ5 for years now and have been very happy with it (fantastically flexible go-anywhere camera), as I do little post-processing, and so perhaps can affros to ignore the noise issue.

Recently I had a chance to do some 'studio shots' of ceramics, and wanted to 'tidy up' a few shots for the artist's folio. To my (unpleasant) surprise, any changes of saturation, brightness, contrast, gamma, etc, caused noise to leap out of the background (I'm using Irfanview 4.10 here). And in one case, a manual white balance done on a ceramic with a black velvet backdrop caused bright blue pixels to appear all over the black velvet in the original photo , here's a 640x80 crop:

I'm seriously considering buying an entry-level DSLR for these type of shots (certainly not for carry-round convenience

Does any one have an idea if the newer FZ series are better than the FZ5 in this regard? Or is a DLSR the only way to go?

Or to put it another way, someone argue me out of the craziness.. there's a good deal on Nikon D40X at a local trader..

Regards,

Maurice
--

http://www.inweb.ch/foto for my links and resources page.
A morning without coffee is like something without something else.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow