Now it's official: Nee Kon instead of Nine Kon

Started Apr 17, 2008 | Discussions thread
matthew saville
Senior MemberPosts: 2,068
Like?
Um, Japanese and English are different languages?
In reply to jeff-c, Apr 17, 2008

I was under the impression that "Nee-kon" was indeed the correct pronounciation, if you were speaking Japanese. DUH, a word that is identical in two languages can be pronounced differently, it happens all the time!

For example, Paris is pronounced just like that, "Paris". When you're speaking english, you don't go around saying "Paree", even though that's the CORRECT way to say it when you're IN France.

So, you all can say it however you like, but I think I'm going to go on saying "Nikon" and "Nikkor" with the "i" pronounced as "i", instead of "e", while I reside here in the US. If I ever go to Japan, I'll know to switch!

-- hide signature --

Cameras capable of making great photographs have become commonplace these days, but photographers have not. While technical innovations have made photography ever easier in recent decades, the art of producing images that other people will care about has become even more formidable. Galen Rowell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ITT:New
IsNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow