Started Apr 16, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Birch_Tree
Junior MemberPosts: 34Gear list
Like?
Why the lack of viewfinders?
Apr 16, 2008

I have just been looking at compact cameras and so few now have viewfinders.... The removal of viewfinders appear to be a trend which occured over the last few years, and I have been wondering why?

My first digital camera a Canon S2IS includes both a viewfinder and a rotating screen. I did find the screen to be a nice gimmick to play around with and did allow for unsual shooting angles. But I now keep it in the closed position 98% of the time.

Viewfinders appear to have obvious advantages over using a screen to compose a photograph. You hold the camera against your face which improves stability, they are smaller which should improve battery life, and they are less prone to glare from the sun, LCD screens also create excessive light glow and ruin long exposure low light photography and I can not imagine them being more expensive to produce then a 3" LCD screen. I can understand the 'marketing departments' have made LCD desirable for the amatuer market but from a technical point of view I can not see why Manufacturers seem to love them so much.

I find it hard to find any advantages to LCD screens over viewfinders so find it hard to understand their widespread popularity in the market.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow