Started Apr 11, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
malch
Forum ProPosts: 10,502
Like?
Time to give up on Capture NX?
Apr 11, 2008

There are things I love about Capture NX but...

• The performance is terrible

• There are just too many silly bugs

• It completely fails to address so many aspects of my overall needs (workflow, DAM, even a decent healing tool to fix a zit, dust bunny, or whatever)

But most of all, I see no real signs of progress on any of these issues. When I started out with Capture NX I hoped that Nikon would quickly get on top of some of them. But over the past year there's been close to nada. Obviously it's heavily dependent on .NET and I can't think of any .NET application that I actually like. And so I have lost confidence is Nikon's ability to ever get it right.

In contrast, Lightroom seems to be hitting the mark. It's fast, it addresses the whole workflow and plenty of people seem to be able to make it work for them. With the new beta of Lightroom 2, it's clear that Adobe are moving along at a very good clip. Today I was thrilled to discover that Lightroom uses SQLite for its database and this makes the system vastly more "open" than I had hitherto realized. Useful plugins are appearing (e.g. for geotagging) and I have seen reference to (but have not yet tried) some Lightroom presets that help one obtain NX-like conversions. Just found some for the D200 here: http://www.onethirdstop.com/

I know that a few folks are using Capture NX for conversion AND Lightroom for the rest of the workflow but... that just seems way too cumbersome for me.

So I'm seriously contemplating the switch. What do other folks think? And if anyone else has been down this same path, I'd love to hear about your experience.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow