Horrible front focus problems on my E-3... it may have to go.

Started Apr 8, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
W.C. Green
Regular MemberPosts: 400
Like?
Horrible front focus problems on my E-3... it may have to go.
Apr 8, 2008

I have heard mention of other's having focus problems, mostly front focusing, but as of yet not found any solutions when searching here. Has anyone else had this problem and been able to correct it? I sent my E-3 in for a problem with the live view focusing option, and mentioned to them that my E-3 seemed to have a problem with front focusing. Well, they did not fix it and they are now fiddling around and don't seem to have a solution to fixing my E-3. I have upgraded to the 1.1 firmware update.

I shoot, primarily headshots for other actors. Just did a shoot on Sunday for a NY actor... over 500 shots. About 90% of them are badly front focused, or slightly back focused. I shoot with the 50mm f2.0, about f2.5-3.5, Aperture Priority, ESP, single spot, S-AF, 4 1/2' to 6' away from the subject, and always focusing on the eyes. In the view finder, it APPEARS focused. However, when opened in CS3... you can see that the frontal hairline is in SHARP focus, and the eyes are almost always, slightly OUT of focus. Or, the eyes are out of focus, and the hair at the temples is in SHARP focus. It seems to be focusing about 1" to 1/2" in front of the spot where I am focusing and where it's registering as focused, or about an 1" behind the area where I am focusing. It's consistent, and it's a bad enough problem, that if not corrected SOON, I am tossing the entire system. I have shot 6 actor's headshots since I got this E-3, and have yet to be pleased with the focusing, using the 50mm f2.0, the 14-54, or the 50-200 old version.

Samples- E-3, 50mm f2.0, ISO 160, f/2.5, 1/100
The focus point on both was her eye on the right.

Anyone that's had this problem and had satisfactory results fixing it... your input would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Billy Green
http://www.wcgreen.net

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Dan,New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow