Started Apr 7, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Count Biscotti
Regular MemberPosts: 152Gear list
Like?
First Light EOS 450D
Apr 7, 2008

So, on Saturday, I drove down to Toronto to buy a DSLR which I had convinced myself I needed for an upcoming vacation.

I had pretty much settled on a Sony A200 + the 18-250 zoom on the basis that it was simple, image stabilized and had the same sensor as the D80. Since I am into astronomy, the noise figures with the Canon, at least the XTi, were a real draw, but their image stabilized lenses were a tad pricey. My brother has the D80 with the 18-200 Nikon zoom, but I felt that the D80 is a bit old now, and the D300, while attractive was pricey, and with the current price depreciation rate of DSLRs, the investment in the D300 might take quite a hit over the next few years of ownership. He came along for the ride, and to render opinions relative to the Nikon line.

There were two XSi's and an A200 in Black's in the Eaton Centre if you wanted to inform the clerks of the pricing and features and benefits. None at Vistek, neither the A200 or the XSi although the salesperson made you want to buy something from him. Almost talked me into a D300. But he did show me an XSi with the Sigma 18-200 OS zoom, which solved my image stabilized zoom problem with the Canon.

Then at Henry's a less than dynamica clerk was persuaded to fetch a box containing their last XSi body that I had spotted in another part of the store. I think it was stashed away for somebody. Informing him of the availablity of the Sigma lens, I finally had my package. So I ended up buying it from the last person I wanted to give the business to.

We then hustled off to C'est What?, a local watering hole, to enjoy a cherry chocolate dark ale. We plugged the battery charger into a wall socket, downed the beer, powered her up and let rip without reading the manual.

So, herewith, First light from the XSi:

OK, that was a bad joke, but herewith, evidence that the XSi can make even a rotten log look good:

A quick trip to Tiger Direct to get a 16G SD card and all in all, life looks good........

Count Biscotti's gear list:Count Biscotti's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW110 Canon EOS 450D Sony SLT-A37 Nikon D5300 Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow