Started Apr 7, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
stevetog
Senior MemberPosts: 1,726
Like?
a UK buyers dissapointment in US camera shops
Apr 7, 2008

Having just spent 3 weeks travelling a lot of the east of the USA I have to say I was completely disappointed by the US camera stores and prices. I had the impression I would be paying a lot less for equipment and stores were full of it.

My actual experience in both LA & SF was of almost empty camera stores (including large chains) and quite high prices and attempts to scam me.

One guy was trying to sell me a Canon 24-105 L for nearly $1500, I paid less than that for one in the UK !! He was also trying to convince me the magazine he was showing me with the price in Euros for the lens was in fact the UK price in sterling. What a con artist.

Also After all the currency conversion fees & the vagueness of a US rebate, and the lack of warranties there was not much incentive left to buy.

Mind you in SF I probably would not be inclined to keep much camera equipment in a shop downtown or even uptown overnight. Plagued as it is by the hordes of homeless filthy mentally ill people roaming the streets, shouting at imaginary people & feeding out of the bins. The whole inner city seemed to be an unsafe unsavoury human zoo & not the place I would be flashing a DSLR or owning a camera shop......

Maybe I just went to the wrong places.....

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow