E510 dynamic range... anyone try the high key settings?

Started Apr 6, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sfrazee
Forum MemberPosts: 94
Like?
E510 dynamic range... anyone try the high key settings?
Apr 6, 2008

Hi all- I am considering buying an e510. I am seeing in reviews and many posts on here about the dynamic range being lower than most other dslr's.

I know some say a combination of set to muted mode and/or lowering the contrast helps and of course just using RAW helps. Others suggest just being careful and using good photographic technique, but that doesnt address the measurable issue with dr/highlights...

I would like to stick with just jpegs and not raw... Wondering if anyone has tried the "high key" setting too. People still say with lowering the contrast the highlights still clip more abruptly than most other cameras. Wondering if the high key setting can help in this...

Lastly- does anyone think that Olympus might release a firmware update to help with the dr/highlight clipping of the camera, as it seems directly tied into the jpeg engine?

Is there anything we might be able to do as a group such as everyone emailing olympus tech support bringing this up, that might help spur them on to a firmware fix for this?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow