Started Apr 5, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jimbobuk
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?
Nikon D3 vs Canon 5D - test shots
Apr 5, 2008

A few weeks ago i had chance to try and test out my new D3 against the 5D. At the time i was trying out using Capture One 4, but hit a snag when one file just converted very very softly for the D3 (iso 12800, yet 25600 was fine).. I then discovered how great Capture NX was with the same images, and left it there.

I'm currently testing Aperture 2.1 and have used this to convert both sets of raw files out of the 5D and the D3... the settings are all at the defaults, so there is more and less NR happening, and seemingly more and less sharpening.

This test is by no means thorough or accurate but it may be helpful to some. The details are

Canon 5D
Canon 50mm f1.8 @ f9
Tripod
Mirror lock up, self timer

Nikon D3
Nikon 50mm f1.4 @ f9
Tripod

Mirror lock up, annoyingly no self timer support so i had to leave each shot 30 seconds for the shot to auto take which sometimes meant light had changed in that 30 second window.

Also the D3 is a different size to the 5D so i had to adjust the tripod center column to try and align the photos.. this along with perhaps differences in the exact FOV of the lenses means that the two shots are never quite perfectly equivelant.

They are close though, and what can be seen is that seemingly the 5D is sharper at lower isos, though there isn't a lot in it. Also the 5D in this scene scales up well through the ISOs.. detail doesn't seem to suffer much at all, its only in the shadows where the noise becomes noticably worse than the D3.. and also the details do start to go by ISO 3200.

Slightly frustrating that the D3 doesn't kill the cheaper canon, but then again what were you to expect with them being similar megapixel, and pixel pitch sensors.

Anyways here's the images

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimbobuk/sets/72157604391617771/

I do remember when shooting this how much more i preferred the feel of the D3 in my hand.. so quick to get used to nikon after using Canon for a few years.. oh and the 5D does feel a bit like a toy next to it.. though part of that is thanks to its extremely light weight.

Hope the shots are helpful to someone.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow