450d - 17-55mm f/2.8 IS vs EF 24-70mm f/2.8L Sorry but another canon question???

Started Mar 31, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mrpaddlepop
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
450d - 17-55mm f/2.8 IS vs EF 24-70mm f/2.8L Sorry but another canon question???
Mar 31, 2008

Hi all,

I've searched all over the net, this forum and i just want to get a solid answer before i go out and purchase.

I've just received the canon 450d today which came with the kit lens. The camera will mainly be used for people/holiday taking; i like to m consider myself as a beginner and have been recommended the following 2 lenses.

I want to purchase only 1 as it will be used as the every day use lens. im not so bothered about future upgrade but just simply want to know which one to buy (oh its got to be canon)

I know the L series has its advantages and the weight/size is not a problem, the build quality i hear is good and compared to the IS 17-55 that has a dust issue which im quite scared of.

There are 2 things that I dont quite understand:

1) this 17mm and 24mm difference, i understand the zoom length but not so much wide angle, is there really a great difference???
2) One has IS and one doesnt, does this matter?

Please help this beginner
Thanks in advance!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow