Started Mar 30, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gulati
Contributing MemberPosts: 553Gear list
Like?
Canon 20 vs. Canon 10-22 vs. Sigma 10-20
Mar 30, 2008

I really want to like the Canon 20/2.8, for AF speed, decently wide aperture, and FF flexibility. I also wanted this to be my do-everything, landscape lens. What I'm finding is that the 20 is super-sharp up close, but quite marginal for landscape, even at f/8.

I don't really need wider than 20, and I don't need another lens that overlaps the normal range. This seems to force me into Canon 10-22 or Sigma 10-20, just to achieve sharp wide-angle. But I'm not keen about these relatively slow lenses that are crop-only.

Maybe my lens is a dud, but then why do I get super-sharp output close-up? Maybe I need more time with the lens? Maybe I should just sit on my hands and wait for Canon or third-party to come up with a good, fast, wide-angle prime that suits crops.

Of course FF and 24/1.4 might solve my problem, but I'm not ready to stomach the expense.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ask-andy

Andy

gulati's gear list:gulati's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD700 IS Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G16 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +3 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow