17-85 with stuck aperture blades out of warranty. Repair cost?

Started Mar 24, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
RobertoAvanzi
Contributing MemberPosts: 966Gear list
Like?
17-85 with stuck aperture blades out of warranty. Repair cost?
Mar 24, 2008

Today my 350D with an EF-S 17-85 has started to sporadically give err 99. I was able to ascertain it only occurred with the EF-S 17-85, not with the Sigma 30 f1.4 and the EF 70-200 L IS. The situation has quickly deteriorated and now the 17-85 has stuck aperture blades at very slow apertures -- the view through the viewfinder is VERY dark, the camera cannot focus with that lens, and I can clearly see internal parts rotate with clunky noises. But again, the other lenses work flawlessly.

And of course I am out of warranty. Has anybody got a canon lens with stuck blades repaired by canon? How much was charged?

In the meantime, I will have to shoot with a funny combo, and using a very fast standard prime as the main lens can be a challenging exercise for me -- in fact, I may learn a lot...

Maybe it is also the right time to upgrade (to a 40d with the 17-55 f2,8 and the new Tokina ATX 116).

best
Roberto

RobertoAvanzi's gear list:RobertoAvanzi's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM +3 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow