Wide-angle compact - Fuji F100fd or Canon/Nikon/Panasonic?

Started Mar 22, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
interbear
Regular MemberPosts: 274
Like?
Wide-angle compact - Fuji F100fd or Canon/Nikon/Panasonic?
Mar 22, 2008

Wide angle compact purchase imminent to replace my Canon A710IS.

Mix of indoor and outdoor shots, inc family (young kids on the move) and landscape. So, a good all rounder required with decent battery life. Also, best image quality out of the camera with little manual intervention and little or no post processing. Simplicity, Image Quality and Compactness are what I'm after.

Fuji F100 FD currently favourite due to the bigger sensor and my assumption that this will mean better image quality. Impressive samples so far. Coming in around £210 in the UK.

Canon SD870 (Ixus 860) also seems a good all-round option, I could probably get it for £130-150 on ebay or elsewhere, certainly far less than the Fuji as it's older (by a massive few months!). It's only 8MP vs the fuji 12MP but as I only ever print max A4 size I don't see that being a problem....or is it?

Nikon S600 intrigues me as it's ultra compact and seemingly very fast. However there are very few comments or opinions on Nikon compacts so it's very difficult to get a view of how good they are in terms of image quality. Any views?

Panasonic FX500 seems to have a wonderful spec inc HD video. Nice but almost everything I read about Pana compacts criticises the image quality and "noise". Is this representative or, given my needs should I be remotely concerned?

Any comment or guidance you experienced photographers out there can provide would be very much appreciated. I very nearly bid for a Canon SD870 (Ixus 860)on e-bay, but the Fuji is still tempting me.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow