Started Mar 17, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
A. M. Hughes
Regular MemberPosts: 243
Like?
Lens reviews: Some thoughts.
Mar 17, 2008

On reading recent posts concerning DP’s new lens reviews; I’m wondering if it is necessary to apply any kind of endorsement; be it “Recommended”, “Highly”, “Just’ or otherwise.

To me; testing procedures that DP has used in evaluating cameras has been extensive, thorough and most important consistent.

Any camera that I have purchased or have recommended to friends or family in the past five years have all been based, in part, on DP reviews. My KM7D was “Highly Recommended” as was my A700. If both cameras were reviewed at the same time would they receive similar scores?

The rapid rate of change in DSLR technology has taken my KM7D body from $1700 to $700 on the used market in a few short years. The A700 will no doubt suffer the same fate. Lenses are however a different kettle of fish.

Lens choices come down to mainly resolution, speed and price once the mount has been established.

DP:s reviews thus far of Kit lenses have been quite balanced and , thorough. What happens when they start reviewing really high-end glass? How dose the consumer decide between the “Highly Recommended”
$300 or $2000 lenses apart from price of course?

I would think that the most difficult aspect of any lens review would be the choice of body to run the test with.

I became interested in this issue based on the following thread. http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1000&message=27177663

So I ask is making a recommendation necessary at all?

-- hide signature --

A.M.H.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow