What's a "snapshot" anyway... and what's wrong with them??

Started Mar 9, 2008 | Discussions thread
azbutch
Regular MemberPosts: 152
Like?
Re: What's a
In reply to wdenies, Mar 14, 2008

I agree with wdenies. Let us not confuse "snapshot" with "candid".

RHLPedrosa stated, "I usually think of great street photogs as "snapshooters", except that they pay a lot of attention to aesthetics. They have to be "snapshooters" in the sense that they don't ask people to pose (if they're not cheating) for them, and the composition only comes alive when certain elements get together, and usually for only a fleeting moment"

My point is that "fleeting moment" may have been prepared for hours! But, it was candid as the people did not pose and probably were not aware their picture was being taken.

A snapshot, on the other hand, is not extensively prepared for from the standpoint of composition, lighting, etc. etc., but can be posed. "SMILE!" or "SAY CHEESE!".

Some preparation may have been accomplished ahead of time. For instance, I was going to a family gathering yesterday afternoon so I installed a wide angle lens, attached my SB800, etc. etc. Yet, I "popped" a lot of quick shots without making any adjustments for just that particular picture.

Make any sense?????
--
AZButch

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Les:New
WOW!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow