Started Mar 11, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
PK001
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
Lens for Mount Kilimanjaro
Mar 11, 2008

Hi, later this year I am aiming to trek up Mount Kilimanjaro with a group of friends.

Even though the walking and altitude is going to be my main concern, I still plan on taking my D70 along. My current lens selection consists of the 18-70mm kit lens and the 70-300 VR.

With weight being an important consideration I am planning on taking neither of these and getting a 50mm 1.8 which should provide me with a low light lightweight general purpose solution.

I shall also be taking a spare battery (and memory card) which will be kept under my jacket to hold it's charge in the cold weather and swapped with the battery in camera when the cold affects it, likewise the camera will be at the bottom of the sleeping bag at night to minimise the cold effect on the battery and camera.

I have also been thinking about getting a monopod and doubling it up as a walking pole, I'm not sure how much benefit I would get from a monopod on this trip, but would appreciate any comments or recommendations.

My budget is in the region of £300 for a lens and any accessories.

If anyone has any experience or other suggestions I would appreciate the comments.

Many thanks,

Parimal

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow