Started Mar 9, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
choinga
Regular MemberPosts: 294
Like?
Next Purchase...17-55 or 24-70??
Mar 9, 2008

I shoot a lot of family stuff - both around the house and sports. Occasionally, I do some landscape stuff when I'm on the road (I travel a ton for work and occasionally bring the rig). I primarily use my 70-200mm. It's a beast, but it takes such gorgeous pictures that I can't seem to take it off my D300.

I'd like to start offering my services to do portraits, family photography, etc... and am trying to figure out what piece of glass I need next.

I'm selling my D80

I don't WANT to...but it just sits in my bag and it's losing value every day...so I figured I'd sell it and the 18-55mm kit lens and get some decent money for it while I can.

With the $$, I want to put towards a 17-55 or 24-70, but just can't make up my mind. For the record, FX for me is not an issue. If the D400 has it and not much else, I'm not going to be pulling my credit card out for it. That said, I'd like for my high $$ glass to support it of course, as I plan on keeping the lenses for a lot longer than the bodies, of course. I read this on Rockwell's site about the 24-70 and it makes sense...but I've seen so many wonderful shots with this lens on the 300 that I keep going back and forth:

"For DX cameras, I'd get something else, since 24-70mm is a silly zoom range on DX. You are paying a big premium for FX coverage if you don't intend to use it on an FX camera..."

That said...what else then??? The 17-55?? Personally, I don't think it's a huge deal to miss 56-69mm...but I'm curious what everyone else thinks about that?

I currently have:

70-200mm
50mm 1.8
Tokina 12-24

Seems like the 24-70 is the most logical step - but I just can't get over the fact that it's as much as my 70-200mm but with no VR???

Is VR in that focal range a 'must' anyway?

Anyway, I think I've kinda made up my mind...but curious what others would do in the same situation.
-------------------
-Ken
Nikon D300

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow