Started Feb 22, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
whcarter
Regular MemberPosts: 158
Like?
SD870 IS vs Fuji F100fd?
Feb 22, 2008

I'm looking for a small p&s with a wide lens and IS that is good in low light without flash, and I think it's between these two. I'm about ready to settle on the 870, but I'm curious how the 870's faster lens and better IS will stack up against Fuji's superior sensors. Which will produce more usable photos in average interior lighting?

870: f/2.8 at wide - f/5.8 tele (3.8x), optical IS (2-3 approx 2-3 stop), 1/2.5 sensor, barely usable ISO 400

F100fd: f/3.3 at wide - f/5.1 tele (5x), sensor IS (approx 1 stop), 1/1.6 sensor, highly usable ISO 800

I'd assume the F100fd's sensor will be equal to or better than the F50's, which just annihilates the SD870's sensor when the images are resized. (Check the image comparer at imaging-resource, then resize). Of course, using a faster lens and IS is always better than boosting sensitivity, but in the end, which is likely to be better? Or is it just impossible to say without having both cameras in the house?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow