Started Feb 18, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sylvana
Junior MemberPosts: 42
Like?
A few months on, my thoughts on the 24-70L
Feb 18, 2008

I have been the frustrated owner of this lens for several months now and after a rocky start I can say that things have settled down.

Firstly, when I looked over the results this lens gave, and became disappointed by them, I started to read the many threads regarding soft or focus issues and began to think that it was a manufacturing fault that caused so many of the users to be so disappointed also.

I have never experienced such a low percentage of keeper photos from a camera/lens combination as the 20d and 24-70 L combo.

Not from the kit lens (plastic fantastic) not form the 70-300Is and definitely not from the 50 1.4 or the 85 1.8.

The results I was achieving where dismal and I had come to expect better results than from the above line-up. But then again, I was used to multi focus selection and whatever shutter speed the camera selected in AV etc… But I can’t do that with the 24-70.

After mush testing I have finally achieved super sharp, brilliant contrast and quality shots. How? Simple, just use it tripod mounted, manually focus and shoot with an elinchrom flash in what effectively became a home studio set up!.

This lens is designed for studio work. It is the first lens that allows you to manually focus you subject even with a crop sensor camera. I consistently kept the shutter at 200 and aperture at 5.6 and presto, the perfect studio lens, You can zoom in on your subject for tighter crop etc it is a real joy in this environment.My pictures are quite sharp, worth the reputation of the L.

As a walk around, I would not recommend it as its not that forgiving, I can achieve far better shots outdoors and shooting action now days but the parameters are restricted compared to other lenses. I can only achieve results by using centre focus and by always keeping that shutter speed up or else shake is evident.

If you are shooting weddings I imagine it would be great too as your subject will always be set up first or positioned therefore giving you time to concentrate on the shot and parameters.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow