Question on Flash (on board and external)

Started Feb 10, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Zhiyong Sun
Regular MemberPosts: 302
Like?
Question on Flash (on board and external)
Feb 10, 2008

I tried the E510 on a party last night, before when I didn't have much chance fire the flash and test. The onboard flash results weren't so good and made me read carefully about it on the manual. Now comes the questions

1. In the auto flash mode plus P, or A mode, using the 14mm kit lens, the shutter speed is always 1/30 at 28mm equiv. The manual says it can go up to 1/180 but that's only when I zoom in. Is it me or Olympus being stupid to just appling the rule of thumb for not causing blur by hand shaking (the shutter speed is at least the zoom value), but ignoring that 1/30 can't freeze a normal person movement? My Canon Pro1 will give a auto shutter speed of 1/60, which works much better. Now I can only use the M or S mode to get a shutter speed control. Am I missing sth.?

2. What is rated range of the on board flash?

3. I know I can use my Canon 420ex external flash on E510 (just in the M mode of course). So I have to set the shutter speed (usually 1/180 or less but doesn't matter that much) and F number (matters a lot since the flash is alwasy at full power I think).

For the on board flash there is an equation to calculate the F number according to the Flash power (guide number), ISO, and object disctance. And the guide number for full on board flash is 12.

Does anyone know, or have an estimate, of what this number will be for the Canon 420 EX at full flash power? With this number I can than calculate the F needed. I know I can experiment but it's better to have a chart in the camera bag for a quick reference.

I know a dedicated olympus flash will be much easier. I just want to see if I can live without it. as I don't really do such kind of shot a lot.

Thanks in advance!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow