Err 99 only with one lens - who to fix? how much $?

Started Feb 7, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
benandfaith
Forum MemberPosts: 78
Like?
Err 99 only with one lens - who to fix? how much $?
Feb 7, 2008

I've been trawling through the http://www trying to figure out exactly what I should be doing and I apologise in advance if this has already been dealt with to death.

My equipment:
Canon 350D/Rebel XT
Tamoron 17-50 2.8
Canon 28-105 USM
Canon 50 1.8

I've been using the Tamron almost exclusively for the past 1.5 years (approx 15,000 shots) without a single problem, but recently I've had the dreaded "err 99". Using my other lenses do not bring up the error message. Typically, I will take 5 shots and then the "err 99" appears. I then use all the different techniques (clean contacts with eraser, remove batts, remove CF, format CF, etc.) after which it functions for approx 5 shots then err 99 again...

Am I right to assume it is my Tamron which is the problem? And if so, what exactly might the problem be?

Should I be sending the problem setup to Canon (still under warranty) or to Tamron (no longer under warranty I think - I am in Australia and if I'm not wrong, Tamron warranty here is only 1 year). How much will this kind of problem typically cost?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Ben

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow