Personal use of D3 to capture family @ school or other events vs Pro shooters on site

Started Feb 6, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
beautifulimpressions
Contributing MemberPosts: 963
Like?
Personal use of D3 to capture family @ school or other events vs Pro shooters on site
Feb 6, 2008

along the similar lines of whether it's appropriate to bring Pro or high end gear to shoot at weddings (see other thread).

I'd like to get everyone's (Pro & amature) opinions regarding shooting at school events (sports or other) or any other events in which your children or other family member is participating.

occasionally I've seen threads from shooters who complain about being harassed by a Pro who is on site shooting. it seems these shooters are singled out because they are seen using dSLRs and/or big lenses.

so, my question is this. consider situations where the event is at a public venue (school, park, etc). perhaps a Pro has been asked/contracted to be there to photograph the event. parents/family members of some of the participants show up with dSLRs, big lenses, etc. unless the Pro has a contract giving them exclussive rights to photograph the event (how often does this happen?). should the Pro and/or their assistant be harrasing others taking pictures (assume for personal use, not a competing sale) do they even have the right to do so ? what do you do about it ?

I haven't experienced it personally (yet), but I have three young children and as they become involved in school and/or sports activities you can bet I plan on bring my camera gear to take pictures of them.

please try to keep responses civil and no personal attacks on those that offer an opinion, thanks ! trying to generate discussion and thought, not civil war.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow