Color calibration for your camera. How important is it?

Started Feb 4, 2008 | Discussions thread
v_veter
Regular MemberPosts: 118
Like?
Re: Color calibration for your camera. How important is it?
In reply to JayMurph, Feb 6, 2008

I've done some calibrations too, here are the results:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1019&thread=25284570

The calibration should ideally be performed for the particular lighting conditions and particular lens. Lenses do differ in their transmission characteristics, some may have color cast, some may look dull. Performing calibration with all the possible lighting conditions and with all lens in existence is next to impossible.

So I use a bunch of presets for typical lighting: daylight, flash indoors, tungsten and fluorescent. I haven't calibrated with all of my lenses, just with one of them. And this is really seen on shots. Ones made with 24-105 (the lens I calibrated) are visibly brighter and have better contrast and color reproduction. Shots taken with other lens with the same preset applied are slightly different in color reproduction.

And anyhow you have nothing to do with lighting like sunset, which is colored heavily. In fact, there's no need to do anything. Colored lighting often express mood, and colorimetrically accurate results are often just dull.

-- hide signature --

This is my opinion, and if you don't like it, I've got another

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow