Like?
Re: DP1: I give up as well
In reply to Francesco Gianni, Feb 6, 2008

Francesco Gianni wrote:

The most natural environment for a compact camera is street shooting,
and in that environment image quality at low ISO is much less
important than retaining the ability to shoot decent pictures hand
held in low light

I see this comment a lot, but I just don't feel it. For me shooting on the street means wanting to get shots done in daylight (ala the classic HCB) and I really doubt I would use a portable camera for anything over ISO400. I have a 42/1.7 rangefinder in my pocket, and I have never once gone to use it when the sun goes down (even with ISO400 film). I have brought the Sigma 30/1.4 on my 20D for street festivals at night, but going with the intent to shoot means less burden on whimsy (the place where a pocketable camera will suffice). If your style in street is low light, then I guess you have to suck it up and deal with a fast prime on a modular camera.

If DOF is essential, then yes, the GRD will get you more "in focus" at lower ISO. With hyperfocal at 12feet @ 28mm f4, I don't think this will be problematic to my personal style... but it will be fun to see how it works out.

-- hide signature --

-CW

Chez Wimpy's gear list:Chez Wimpy's gear list
Sigma DP1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS 550D +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow