ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TXNikonShooter
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?
SSD using Expresscard and CF
Feb 6, 2008

Hi all,

I've gotten on this kick for maximizing my new Dell notebook and I've been looking at getting a SSD for the expresscard slot to (hopefully) improve Vista's speed. I've read that the gain isn't huge, but bear me out here.

Looking at Lexar SSDs for expresscard, they are about $200 based on their website for an 8GB size. If I can get an expresscard reader that will fit a CF card in it and still remain flush with the edge of the laptop, I'll have a pretty similar setup, no? I think I saw a reader on ebay for like $15 and newegg has a Transcend 8GB 133x card for $38.99, so I'm looking at $60ish for this route.

I understand that I would have two connections instead of one (from CF to reader, from reader to expresscard connector) and that such a setup might sacrifice some speed but I don't think it would be a huge deal. I could also get a 32GB card when they come down in price in the next few years, and have a pretty nice little SSD.

Has anyone done this, and if so, how'd it go. Also, am I missing something?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow